Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2014

THE JOYS OF TEACHING

I love my job.  LOVE.  …I especially love all of those random moments that I’m not expecting that bring a smile to my face.  This week was full of those moments and I just have to share a few of them…

1.  Apparently I am allowed to leave the building during my prep time?!?  Say WHAT??  How did I not know this?  (Probably because I only get one, forty-five minute prep period a week and I am frantically using that time to be as productive as possible.)  …this week, I just really needed caffeine.  Hello, giant Dr. Pepper from the gas station down the street!!  #instantenergy

2.  On Wednesday, a few of the 8th grade students took on the responsibility of leading chapel as part of an optional honors program we offer to our middle school students.  There is nothing that can bring more joy to my heart, or make me more proud, than watching my students share their faith and talk about how God is working in their lives.

 “In your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.” 1 Peter 3:15

3.  Oh, Wednesday Words.  I think I have created a monster, and I like it.  Every week we learn a new Wednesday Word, a unique vocabulary word to incorporate into conversations and spot in our reading.  As they find these words in their independent reading, they can redeem them for Jolly Ranchers. *cough* BRIBERY *cough*  Check this out.  Apparently one of my students was a little desperate for something to write on when she found a Wednesday Word in the book she is reading.  Yes, that is a straw wrapper. 

WeLOVEWednesdayWords

I also heard one of my students yell, “Ugh, this game is so arduous!” while playing basketball at recess.  …she immediately looked at me to see if that would earn her a Jolly Rancher. 

4.  I BLEW my students’ minds when we discovered that there are 6,402,000,000,000,000 different ways they could arrange themselves in a single line for a panoramic picture.  Yep, over six quadrillion ways my eighteen fabulous students could line up to walk down the hall!!

5.  If you teach middle school and you have yet to come up with a reason to play Disney music during work time, find an excuse to do so.  At one point during art on Friday, I am pretty sure that ALL eighteen of my students were singing along to “Let it Go” from Frozen.  I’m not talking a subtle singing, I am talking full out belting those lyrics.  Yes, even my macho boys.  …the looks on their faces while working on an art project and rocking out to Disney songs were priceless.

I repeat, I LOVE my job.


6 comments:

  1. Well, your student LOVE you too. {I know, because two of them live in my house!} And we are constantly being educated about 'Wednesday Words" at home. :) Thanks for all that you do...to inspire my kiddos...and to inspire me as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, thank you for your sweet words. YOU are an inspiration to me!!
      p.s. That is your daughters straw wrapper...

      Delete
  2. This post made me smile! There is definitely joy in what we do.


    But one prep a week? Yuck to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I was able to bring a smile to your face! ...I'm telling you, turn on Disney music in your classroom for instant smiles! : ]

      Delete